4 Warning Signs That You Have Faulty Wiring

4 Warning Signs That You Have Faulty WiringBad or old wiring can be an inconvenience when it causes you to lose power, but it can also be very dangerous as faulty wiring is one of the main causes of house fires. Here are 4 warning signs that you have faulty wiring.

1: Dimming Or Flickering Lights

If your lights dim or flicker when something is turned on it is a sign of an overloaded circuit. In some cases lights can dim and flicker occasionally even when the wiring of the building is sound. However if it happens regularly, then you should call a professional electrician as this is a sign that you have faulty wiring or that an old circuit breaker has to be replaced.

2: Burning Odour

Sometimes the first few uses of a new appliance may produce a strange odour, that can be normal. But if the odour is coming from the outlet, fuse box or a breaker panel then you need to call an electrician right away to avoid any further damage.

3: Discolouration Of Outlets & Switches

If you notice any discolouration or charring of switches or outlets then it will have to be replaced as soon as possible. The outlets and switches themselves are not always to blame, sometimes the cause of the problem lies with the wiring, usually close to the outlet or switch, in the circuit being faulty. This causes the outlet or switch to arc and cause small fires that die out quickly.

4: Blown Fuses & Tripped Breakers

Fuses and circuit breakers are there as a precaution to prevent a circuit from overloading and causing a fire. Fuses have to be replaced every time they are blown and circuit breakers are reusable, generally just having to be flipped back up. Eventually however circuit breakers can get worn down and need replacing. Another sign of faulty wiring is if you regularly have to replace fuses and circuit breakers. If this is an issue that you have then you need to call a fully qualified electrician to come in and resolve the problem.

If you notice your lights regularly dimming and flickering, a burning odour from outlets, fuse boxes or circuit breakers, discolouration of outlets or switches or that you routinely have to replace fuses and circuit breakers you may have faulty wiring. If you think that this is the case then it’s essential that you call a reliable, professional electrical repair service immediately to assess your wiring and fix any problems before the issue becomes more serious.